John Ratcliffe was appointed Director of National Intelligence in May 2020.
Ratcliffe previously served as representative from Texas' 4th Congressional District in the U.S. House. Ratcliffe was first elected to Congress in 2014. Ratcliffe was a member of the House Homeland Security Committee, the House Judiciary Committee, and the House Ethics Committee. Ratcliffe
In November 2017, President Donald Trump signed a bill sponsored by Ratcliffe to help law enforcement investigate and prevent cyber and electronic crime.
Ratcliffe questioned disgraced FBI director James Comey about Comey's decision not to recommend prosecution of Hillary Clinton after her 4th of July 2016 holiday weekend interview with FBI investigators Peter Strzok and David Laufman. FBI Documents reveal Comey decided more than six weeks earlier before the investigation was completed.
Mr. RATCLIFFE. ...If there was ever any possibility that something Hillary Clinton might have said on July 2 could have possibly resulted in criminal charges that might possibly have resulted in a trial against her relating to this classified information, well, then, to use your words, Director, I don’t think that there is any reasonable prosecutor out there who would have allowed two immunized witnesses central to the prosecution proving the case against her to sit in the room with the interview, the FBI interview, of the subject of that investigation. And if I heard you earlier today, in your long career, I heard you say that you have never had that circumstance. Is that—did I hear you correctly?
Mr. COMEY. That is correct, but——
Mr. RATCLIFFE. Okay. And I never have either, and I have never met a prosecutor that has ever had that. So, to me, the only way that an interview takes place with the two central witnesses and the subject of the investigation is if the decision has already been made that all three people in that room are not going to be charged.
Mr. COMEY. Can I respond?
Mr. RATCLIFFE. Yes. Please.Mr. COMEY. I know in our political lives sometimes people casually accuse each other of being dishonest, but if colleagues of ours believe I am lying about when I made this decision, please urge them to contact me privately so we can have a conversation about this. All I can do is to tell you again, the decision was made after that, because I didn’t know what was going to happen in that interview....
Comey faces charges of violating 18 USC 1621 and 18 USC 1001.
- ↑ Shaw, Adam (October 18, 2017). James Comey Drafted Statement Ending Hillary Clinton Email Probe Months Before Interviewing Her. Breitbart News. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- ↑ https://insider.foxnews.com/2017/09/01/james-comey-may-have-committed-perjury-chaffetz-says
- ↑ https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2017/08/31/confirmed-comey-decided-he-wasnt-going-to-refer-hillary-for-prosecution-before-interviewing-key-witnesses-n2375767?amp=true
- ↑ https://www.axios.com/gop-senators-comey-had-draft-statement-clearing-clinton-before-fbi-interview-2480037436.html
- ↑ OVERSIGHT OF THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, HEARING BEFORE THE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES ONE HUNDRED FOURTEENTH CONGRESS SECOND SESSION, SEPTEMBER 28, 2016 page 88 PDF