|70th United States Secretary of State|
From: April 26, 2018 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former Director of the Central Intelligence Agency|
From: January 23, 2017 – April 26, 2018
|Former U.S. Representative from Kansas's 4th Congressional District|
From: January 3, 2011 – January 23, 2017
|Spouse(s)||Leslie Libert (div.)|
Susan Pompeo (2000 – present)
Michael Richard "Mike" Pompeo (born December 30, 1963) is a neocon who unfortunately served as the United States Secretary of State under U.S. President Donald Trump. Previously, he served in the United States House of Representatives from 2011 to 2017, and as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency from 2017 to 2018. He is a member of the Republican Party and served as a Republican National Committeeman.
On March 13, 2018, President Trump announced he would fire U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and appoint Pompeo to replace him. The Senate confirmed him on April 26, 2018. Social conservatives supported Pompeo's nomination. He became an influential member of the administration. However, as Secretary of State, he appointed several Never Trumpers to important State Department positions.
Pompeo criticized the Iran nuclear deal, saying that he looks "forward to rolling back this disastrous deal with the world’s largest state sponsor of terrorism." Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called Pompeo a "true friend of Israel."
In April 2017, Pompeo accused Julian Assange of being a de-facto Russian agent.
In July 2019, he unapologetically described his tenure as CIA Director as "we lied, we cheated, we stole."
In December 2019, Pompeo, along with Secretary of Defense Mark Esper and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley acted on their own authority to respond to alleged Iranian proxy attacks on Iraqi military bases hosting American troops. The circumstances behind the strikes are highly suspicious, and it is possibly if not likely that Pompeo, Esper, and Milley intentionally escalated the situation in order to create a justification for a possible war against Iran.
Trade war with China
- The trade war by China against the United States has been going on for years.
- We’re going to win it. We’re going to get an outcome which forces China to behave in a way that if you want to be a power, a global power – transparency, rule of law, you don't steal intellectual property, the fundamental principles of trade around the world, fairness, reciprocity – those are the things President Trump has told his counterpart there, who he very much likes. Those are the things the American people are demanding and the American workers deserve. Interview With Chris Wallace of Fox News - September 23, 2018
- Multiple references:
- Pappas, Alex (March 13, 2018). Trump says Rex Tillerson out as Secretary of State, replaced by Mike Pompeo. Fox News. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- Spiering, Charlie (March 13, 2018). On Twitter, Donald Trump Announces Mike Pompeo as Secretary of State; Rex Tillerson Out. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Wong, Kristina (April 26, 2018). Senate Confirms Mike Pompeo as Secretary of State. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Sands, David R. (April 26, 2018). Trump gets his man as Senate confirms Mike Pompeo for State Department. The Washington Times. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Pappas, Alex (April 26, 2018). Mike Pompeo confirmed as secretary of state; Senate OKs Germany ambassador. Fox News. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Greenwood, Max (May 1, 2018). Pompeo issues first tweets as secretary of State. The Hill. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Spiering, Charlie (May 2, 2018). Donald Trump and Mike Pompeo: State Department Will ‘Get Its Swagger Back’ — Represent America First. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 2, 2018.
- Berry, Susan (April 26, 2018). Mike Pompeo Confirmation a ‘Pro-Life’ and ‘Religious Freedom’ Victory. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 26, 2018.
- Freiburger, Calvin (April 27, 2018). Pro-life Pompeo confirmed as Secretary of State; abortion advocates pounce. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- Taylor, Guy (March 17, 2019). Mike Pompeo has Trump's ear, but who really wields the influence? The Washington Times. Retrieved March 19, 2019.
- Wadhams, Nick; Jacobs, Jennifer (January 31, 2019). ‘Never Trumpers’ Can Get State Department Jobs With Pompeo There. Bloomberg. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Van Buren, Peter (March 15, 2018). Commentary: The pros – and cons – of Pompeo as secretary of state. Reuters. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Lazaroff, Tovah (April 29, 2018). NETANYAHU: 'I’LL TALK WITH U.S. SEC. OF STATE POMPEO ABOUT IRANIAN AGGRESSION'. Jerusalem Post. Retrieved November 11, 2018.
- Profile in the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Mike Pompeo is rumored pick for secretary of state: What to know about him, Fox News, by Zoe Szathmary, November 30, 2017.