Alliance for Global Justice
The Alliance for Global Justice (AFGJ, sometimes styled AfGJ) is an organizing group that serves as a fiscal sponsor to numerous left-wing initiatives, among them Refuse Fascism and Stop Mass Incarceration. In the 2010s, AFGJ was a fiscal sponsor of the Occupy Wall Street movement. The group also claims credit for helping form the Act Now to Stop War and End Racism (ANSWER) Coalition, which has ties to the extremist Workers World Party.
The group describes itself as “anti-capitalist,” opposed to the principles of liberal democracy and individual rights, and favoring a “multi-polar” world order with powerful rivals to American international primacy. Alliance for Global Justice and people associated with the organization have advocated for socialist and Communist authoritarian regimes since its founding.
The organization provides “fiscal sponsorship” to groups advocating numerous foreign and domestic far-left and extreme-left causes, including eliminating the State of Israel, supporting convicted violent leftist extremists, and advancing various labor union efforts. Alliance for Global Justice is fiscal sponsor of 107 projects.
Alliance for Global Justice has received substantial funding from organizations often claiming to be the mainstream of the center-left. The Open Society Foundations, Tides Foundation, Arca Foundation, Surdna Foundation, Public Welfare Foundation, Silicon Valley Community Foundation, and the Brightwater Fund have all made contributions to AFGJ. AFGJ has also received substantial contributions through donor-advised funds, which allow donors to anonymize contributions which might otherwise be disclosed using an intermediary foundation.
In addition to more general left-of-center organizations, AFGJ has taken money from foundations associated with the extreme left. The Foundation for Deep Ecology, an extremist environmentalist funder, has provided $30,000 to AFGJ. The group has also received funding from the left-wing Ben and Jerry’s Foundation, the anti-Israeli Firedoll Foundation, and the left-wing Hill-Snowdon Foundation.
Labor unions are also substantial contributors to AFGJ and its sponsored projects. In 2016, the SEIU reported a contribution to AFGJ, while numerous other unions have funded AFGJ projects United Students Against Sweatshops and US Labor Against the War.
Alliance for Global Justice was incorporated in 1998 by members of the pro-Sandinista Nicaragua Network. To reduce confusion regarding the group’s non-Nicaragua-related left-wing organizing work, Nicaragua Network staffers incorporated the Alliance for Global Justice. AFGJ ultimately subsumed the Nicaragua Network as a project of the Alliance.
AFGJ has been criticized for close alignment with authoritarian left-wing regimes, including the Venezuelan Bolivarian socialist regime of Nicolas Maduro, the Nicaraguan communist regime of Daniel Ortega, and the Cuban communist regime of Raul Castro. The group is an advocate for the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (known by the acronym ALBA), a Venezuelan- and Cuban-led trading bloc of leftist-led countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. Persons associated with AFGJ have even affirmed the propaganda of the gulag state of North Korea.
Alliance for Global Justice is a staunch defender of left-wing extremists, including convicted felons. AFGJ publishes a list of purported “Prisoners of Empire” it asserts are political prisoners. The list includes several violent extremists: Native American radical Leonard Peltier, convicted of murdering two FBI agents; Mumia Abu-Jamal, a former Black Panther convicted of murdering a Philadelphia police officer; members of the Marxist-Leninist terrorist organization Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC); members of the Black Liberation Army; David Gilbert and Judy Clark, members of the terrorist Weather Underground; three men convicted of a politically motivated spree murder in the U.S. Virgin Islands; and members of the terrorist United Freedom Front. The list also honors convicted Cuban spy Ana Montes, convicted terrorist conspirator Patrice Lumumba Ford, and two Minnesota women convicted of material support for the Islamist terror organization Al-Shabbab.
As of 2016, Alliance for Global Justice was a fiscal sponsor of nine pro-Palestinian and anti-Israeli groups. At least one, the “One Democratic State Group,” openly calls for the abolition of Israel as a national home for the Jewish people. Other organizations AFGJ has supported have facilitated violent demonstrations.
107 Fiscally Sponsored Projects
The Alliance for Global Justice fiscally sponsor organizations and projects with a local focus to organizations with a global focus, as well as organizations not based in the U.S. They claim to sponsor so-called "humanitarian aid" projects, direct service organizations, networks and coalitions, racial and social justice organizations, international human rights accompaniment work, legal defense projects, and more.
AfGJ Fiscally Sponsored Projects:
- Action Bail Fund
- Action LA (Los Angeles) www.actionla.org
- African Awareness Association (Richmond, VA) www.aaa-cubatours.com
- Alliance Of Families for Justice afj-ny.org/
- Alianza Indígena Sin Fronteras/Indigenous Alliance Without Borders www.indigenousalliance.org
- Alerta Migratoria alertamigratoria.org
- Arizona Palestine Solidarity Alliance southernarizonabds.weebly.com
- Assata’s Daughters assatasdaughters.org
- BeeKind CommUNITY facebook.com/occustock
- Black Movement Law Project www.bmlp.org
- Black Trans Media www.blacktransmedia.org
- Bukit Bail Fund of Pittsburgh facebook.com/bukitbailfundpgh/
- BV Solidarity Project (BVSP) vb4cuba.com
- Camino Común
- Change-Links Newspaper (Los Angeles) www.change-links.org
- Chico Mendes Reforestation Project chicomendesguatemala.org
- Cindy Sheehan’s Soapbox cindysheehanssoapbox.blogspot.com
- Clean up the Mines www.cleanupthemines.org
- Coalition of Women for Peace www.coalitionofwomen.org
- Colorado Freedom Fund ColoradoFreedomFund.org
- Courage to Resist www.couragetoresist.org
- Denver Justice Project facebook.com/DenverJusticeProject
- DC African American Legacy Foundation facebook.com/dcaalf/
- Eritye Papa Desalin erityepapadesalin.podbean.com
- Family and Friends of Dr. Mutulu Shakur mutulushakur.com
- Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition (NYC) www.freemumia.com
- Friends Feeding Families
- Friends of Loudoun Hills (Virginia)
- Friends of Asociación de Trabajadores Campesinos www.friendsatc.org
- Friends of the Congo http://www.friendsofthecongo.org/
- Gays Against Guns DC https://www.facebook.com/gaysagainstgunsdc/
- Good Shepherd Collective goodshepherdcollective.org
- Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees haitianrefugees.org
- Hands Up United www.HandsUpUnited.org
- Hawaii J20
- IALA Mesoamerica www.ialamesoamerica.wordpress.com
- IFCO | Pastors for Peace ifconews.org
- InterOccupy www.interoccupy.net
- International Journal of Foreign Language Teaching (IJFLT) www.IJFLT.org
- Jericho Movement www.thejerichomovement.com
- Juthour Arboretum (Ramallah) juthour.org
- Just Info (New York, NY) nylawcollective.com
- Lazos de Dignidad fundacionlazosdedignidad.org
- LGBT Freedom and Asylum Network www.lgbt-fan.org
- LGBT Voice lgbtvoicetz.org
- Lajee Center www.lajee.org
- Legal Defense for Palestine legaldefenseforpalestine.org/
- Movement for Black Lives Fund action.movementforblacklives.org
- Movement NetLab www.movementnetlab.org
- Migrant Quilt Project migrantquiltproject.org
- National Coalition to Protect Student Privacy www.studentprivacy.org
- National Immigrant Solidarity Network www.immigrantsolidarity.org
- National Network Opposing the Militarization of Youth (NNOMY) www.nnomy.org
- New York 2X Coalition ny2x.org
- New York Mechanical Gardens Bike Co-operative bikecoop.nyc
- Nija’nu Apoyando a Nuestros Abuelos A.C. www.nijanu.org
- Pan-African Roots www.a-aprp-gc.org/pan-african-roots
- People Helping People www.phparivaca.org
- Philly Thrive www.phillythrive.org/
- Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign www.economichumanrights.org
- Popular Resistance www.popularresistance.org
- Refuse Fascism refusefascism.org/
- Social Justice Action Center sjacportland.wordpress.com
- Solentiname Friendship Project www.poluscenter.org/solentiname.html
- South Bronx Unite southbronxunite.org
- Stop Mass Incarceration Network www.stopmassincarceration.org
- Sustainable Orphanages for Haitian Youth www.sustainableorphanagesforhaiti.com
- Suriname Indigenous Health Fund www.sihfund.org
- Ta’ayush www.taayush.org
- The Nation Report www.thenationreport.org
- Tucson Second Chances Bail Fund tucsonfreedom.com
- United Students Against Sweatshops www.studentsagainstsweatshops.org
- US Labor Against the War www.uslaboragainstwar.org
- Vermont Freedom Bail Fund / El Fondo para La Libertad VT fondo.migrantvt.org
- We Are Cove Point (Maryland) www.wearecovepoint.org
- White Noise Collective www.conspireforchange.org
- Woodbine Education Center (Colorado) www.woodbinecenter.org
- World Beyond War www.worldbeyondwar.org
- World Can’t Wait www.worldcantwait.org
- Richardson, Valerie. “Antifa violence splits left as another major protest looms at Berkeley.”, The Washington Times. September 13, 2017.
- “#BlackLivesMatter Protests Held Amid Parties on New Year’s Eve.” NBCNews.com. January 01, 2015.
- Markay, Lachlan. “Meet the Radical Group Handling ‘Occupy Wall Street’ Finances.” The Daily Signal. November 07, 2011.
- [https://afgj.org/about/our-history “Our History.” Alliance for Global Justice.
- Clemetson, Lynette. “Some War Protesters Uneasy With Others.” The New York Times. January 23, 2003.
- <ref.Our Principles.” Alliance for Global Justice.
- “Alliance for Global Justice.” NGO Monitor.
- “AfGJ’s Fiscally Sponsored Projects.” Alliance for Global Justice.
- Data compiled by Foundationsearch.com subscription service, a project of Metasoft Systems, Inc. from forms filed with the Internal Revenue Service. Queries conducted December 14, 2017 by Influencewatch.org.
- Hogberg, David. “Communists Funding the Resistance: The Alliance for Global Justice.” Capital Research Center. August 29, 2017.
- Data compiled by the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Labor Management Standards from Annual Report of a Labor Organization (Forms LM-2) filed with OLMS in 2016 and 2017. Queries conducted December 15, 2017, Influencewatch.org
- “Venezuela-ALBA Weekly: Venezuela’s Communal Movement Today 11.24.2017.” Alliance for Global Justice. November 24, 2017.
- Hogberg, David. “Communists Funding the Resistance: The Alliance for Global Justice.” Capital Research Center.
- “Political Prisoners in the USA.” Alliance for Global Justice. September 07, 2017.
- “Alliance for Global Justice.” NGOmonitor. January 7, 2016.
- Alliance for Global Justice (AFGJ) at Influencewatch.org