In May 2015 president Poroshenko signed a law which ordered the removal of statues and monuments honoring Communism. 1,320 statues of Lenin had been dismantled along with 1,069 other Soviet-era monuments.
Poroshenko said he supports “the march of equality [LGBT pride parade] as a Christian and as a president-European. This aligns things. I will not participate in it, but I see no reason that someone should prevent it for it is the constitutional right of every Ukrainian citizen.”
- Bennetts, Marc (August 19, 2017). Ukraine removes all 1,320 statues of Lenin. The Times. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Will Kiev’s LGBT Pride Go Ahead?
- Multiple references:
- US Expands Sanctions Against Russia, Ukraine Separatists. Voice of America. June 20, 2017. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Treasury moves to 'pressure' Russia with new sanctions in Ukraine conflict. Fox News. June 20, 2017. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Gehrke, Joel (June 20, 2017). Trump hits Russia, Ukrainian separatists with sanctions. Washington Examiner. Retrieved June 26, 2017.