Basic income is a term for a socialist policy where every resident of an area is guaranteed an income regardless of their employment status.
Various proposals for a universal basic income have been discussed in different countries, usually supported by the Left. For example, in 2016, voters in Switzerland rejected a proposal to enact a basic income by about 78%. Finland began a pilot program in 2017 to study enacting a basic income, but it ended the program a year later. Ontario's newly-elected conservative government also rejected a basic income pilot program in July 2018.
According to the France-based Public Services International and the Britain-based New Economics Foundation – left-of-center organizations – universal basic income does not work well in practice.
The El Paso Walmart shooter claimed that legal immigration was hampering implementation of a universal basic income.
- ↑ Schlesinger, Jacob M. (January 11, 2020). Minimum-Income Ideas Get Widest Airing in 50 Years. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 11, 2020.
- ↑ Swiss voters reject 'money for nothing' universal income proposal. Fox News (from the Associated Press). June 6, 2018. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- ↑ Multiple references:
- Lane, Oliver JJ (April 25, 2018). Failure: Finland to Terminate Universal Basic Income Experiment. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- DeMarche, Edmund (April 25, 2018). Finland to end its universal basic income program by year's end. Fox News. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Friedman, Victoria (February 9, 2019). Finland’s ‘Free Money’ Experiment Failed to Encourage Unemployed to Find Work. Breitbart News. Retrieved February 9, 2019.
- ↑ Singman, Brooke (August 1, 2018). Universal basic income ditched in Canada, even as US cities try welfare experiment. Fox News. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- ↑ Vadum, Matthew (May 17, 2019). Universal Basic Income Programs Don’t Work Well, Report Says. The Epoch Times. Retrieved May 17, 2019.
- ↑ https://www.paypervids.com/alleged-el-paso-texas-walmart-shooter-manifesto/
- Time for a UBI?, by R. Cort Kirkwood of The New American